Smoldering fireworks set Syracuse family home on fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SYRACUSE, Utah – A family of 4 are salvaging what they can from a burned out bedroom after a fire on Friday morning.

Emergency crews got a call just before 8 a.m. this morning and when they arrived it seemed clear to them what caused the fire.

A plastic trashcan right next to the home managed to catch fire.

According to authorities, used firework remains were put into the trash which led to them smoldering overnight.

The flames raced up the side of the home and into the master bedroom on the top floor.

Chief Eric Froerer with Syracuse Fire Department said, “Find a safe place to dispose of your fireworks and when you’re finished take the residue, soak them in gallons of water leaving them in there overnight if you can to make sure it’s all extinguished.”

The residents say they’re grateful everyone is alive and that all the items can be replaced.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.