It isn't only kids who can throw a tantrum, adults are just as guilty. But what's the best way to handle that dreaded public breakdown with your kid? Best selling author of The Child Whisperer, Carol Tuttle, shares a three step drill to help you put out the tantrum!
- BREATH Take a deep breath, drop in to your heart energy and stay calm, avoid going in to a counter tantrum. Don`t match their energy with a similar energy
- SHIFT Shift the energy by first removing yourself and your child to a private setting and then shift their energy with a spinal flush
- RESOLVE Resolve the issue, depending on their age, will determine your resolution strategy
- 4 and under: What does my child need right now, what is the priority? Food, sleep, change of environment, physical activity
- 5 and up: Ask the question - 'what are you upset about? Listening with empathy usually helps your child to settle down. Work on a resolution together.
- Another question to ask yourself a a parent, 'am I giving my child adequate attention during the day, or are they needing to throw tantrums to get my attention.
For more information from Carol, go here.