Healthy Butternut Squash Soup (01.20.16)
- 2 lbs. butternut squash, cubed
- 3 tablespoons avocado or olive oil, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece peeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups less-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup non-fat Greek yogurt (optional)
- 3 green onions, chopped
- No Salt Seasoning and Pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 400° F.
Place the butternut squash on a baking sheet. Coat with 2 tablespoons of oil oil, no salt seasoning and pepper. Bake for 50 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Cool 10 minutes.
In a Dutch oven or soup pot up to medium high heat, add remaining tablespoon of oil. Sauté the onion, garlic and ginger with no salt seasoning and pepper for 3-4 minutes or until slightly softened.
Place half of squash and half of broth in a blender. Remove centerpiece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape). With the lid on, place a clean towel over opening in blender lid. Blend until smooth. Add to onion, garlic and ginger pot. Repeat procedure with remaining squash mixture and broth. Cook over medium heat 8-10 minutes. Top each serving with desired amount of yogurt, if using and a few green onions. Serve immediately.