Baked Potato Soup (01.21.16)
- 4 baking potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk
- 2 cups cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions, divided
- 6 bacon slices, cooked and crumbled
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 400°.
Pierce potatoes with a fork; bake for 1 hour or until tender. Cool. Mash potatoes with 2 tablespoons of butter, salt and pepper.
In a Dutch oven or soup pot up to medium heat, add remaining tablespoon of butter. Once melted, add flour; gradually add milk and cream, stirring with a whisk until blended. Cook over medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 8 minutes). Add mashed potatoes, 3/4 cup cheese, salt, and pepper, stirring until cheese melts. Remove from heat.
Stir in sour cream and 1/2 cup onions. Cook over low heat 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Sprinkle each serving with cheese, onions, and bacon.