Hoverboard bursts into flames at Washington mall

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

AUBURN, Wash. – The red hot hoverboard craze is getting hotter… and not in a good way.

One of these wildly popular holiday gifts burst into flames at a mall in Auburn, Washington, Tuesday.

Witnesses said they heard an explosion and saw the board catch fire, which was followed by a strong odor and the sounds of alarms. Hoverboard fire Wash mall.

In the video you can see mall employees with fire extinguishers putting out the blaze.

A witness told authorities even once the hoverboard was covered with fire retardant, it exploded again.

Fire officials said they think the battery-powered device overheated.

No one was seriously injured.

This is just the latest incident when it comes to the devices.

Five days before Thanksgiving, Jessica Horne’s 12-year-old son received a hoverboard which also caught fire and burned down the family’s Louisiana home.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.