Michael Caron, Utah State University Extension Horticulturist, shares his secrets for making Christmas greenery stay beautiful and healthy. For more information, go here.
When picking out a tree, check for these things:
- Needles should feel soft
- Test for needle drop
- Local vs. imported (pick whichever one looks the freshest)
Tips for keeping your Christmas tree alive:
- Cut base to open the water conducting vessels
- Store base in water until ready to decorate
- Place on stand with water - give your tree more water than you think it needs
- Choose a good location in the home
- You can keep it alive to plant in your yard, but you need to transfer it into a pot and keep it either on your porch or in your garage until Spring.
Tips for Poinsettias
- Only water once a week
- You can choose any color, many are now painted and decorated with sparkles
- You can get them to last through the Christmas season if you take care of them