Two residents displaced after AC unit sparks blaze in Murray apartment complex

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MURRAY, Utah — Two residents were displaced and two cats were rescued Sunday after an air conditioning unit fizzled and burned through the roof of a three-story apartment complex in Murray.

Deputy Fire Marshal Pat Killion of the Murray Fire Department said the fire broke out at a complex at 5324 South  570 East around 6:40 a.m., and a neighbor noticed the fire and called 911. A portion of the three-story complex was evacuated, though no one was at home in the residence the fire damaged.

The fire smoldered in the attic, and fire crews used water cans to put it out. Crews also cut the AC unit out and moved it to a more secure area of the roof.

There were no injuries reported in connection with the fire, and officials are still trying to locate the residents of the apartment that was rendered uninhabitable by the fire.

Killion said they deal with calls like this every time the weather changes.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.