Home sustains $60,000 in damages after juvenile playing with lighter sparks blaze

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

File: A UFA vehicle.

DRAPER, Utah — The Utah Red Cross provided shelter and clothing for a mother and her children after a house fire in Draper early Saturday morning, and officials said the fire that caused $60,000 in damages was sparked by a juvenile who was playing with a lighter.

Unified Fire Authority crews responded to a single-alarm fire in the area of 700 West and 12300 South at about 11:47 p.m.  Friday night. The homeowner made the initial call to report smoke in the house, said Rob Morley, who is a paramedic and UFA spokesman.

Morley said the flames were on the main level and extended a bit into the attic. The fire was under control and put out within 25 minutes.

The Red Cross also responded to help the residents of the home. They provided food, clothing and lodging for a mother and her four children after the blaze. A fifth child was on scene with medical needs and was also assisted, according to a Red Cross tweet.

There were two pets in the home. A dog was rescued but a cat was killed in the fire.

Morley said there was no structural damage but there was a lot of smoke damage and that they estimate the total in damages to be about $60,000.

Morley said the fire began when a 12-year-old juvenile was playing with a lighter.

1 Comment

  • Emily Jenkins

    There were so many people that helped this sweet family my kids and I have spent so much time with them and we had people coming and going from Friday night to Sunday night there were so many and there are so many to thank and I can not thank you all enough for being so giving when you knew none of them our community is amazing and thank you too everyone that pitched in to help with what ever they could. It was incredible

Comments are closed.