Lentil Patties with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce (02.26.15)
- 1 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
- 1/2 cup red or brown lentils
- 1/4 small red onion, diced
- 3 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 cup whole grain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped, divided
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for serving
- No Salt Seasoning and Pepper, to taste
In a medium bowl, combine the first 3 ingredients with no salt seasoning and pepper. Cover; refrigerate until ready to use.
Bring lentils and 3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Reduce heat, season with no salt seasoning, and simmer until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and let cool.
Combine lentils, red onion, egg whites, breadcrumbs, half the parsley, no salt seasoning and pepper in a medium bowl. Mash well. Shape into 8 patties.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to coat bottom. Cook patties in a single layer, working in batches if necessary. Cook, turning once, until crisp and brown, about 4 minutes.
Serve lentil patties with some of the yogurt sauce over the top. Garnish with remaining parsley.
Sponsor: Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute