- 1 pound potatoes, such as russet, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/2 cup cream, for a lighter version substitute vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup beef stock or broth
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Boil potatoes in salted water until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain potatoes and pour them into a bowl. Combine sour cream, 3 tablespoons butter, salt and pepper. Add the mixture to the potatoes and mash until potatoes are almost smooth.
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to hot pan with beef, salt and pepper. Brown and crumble meat for 3 or 4 minutes. Add chopped carrot and onion to the meat. Cook veggies with meat 5 minutes, stirring frequently. In a second small skillet over medium heat cook remaining tablespoon of butter and flour together 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and Worcestershire sauce. Thicken gravy 1 minute. Add gravy to meat and vegetables. Stir in peas.
Preheat broiler to high. Fill a small rectangular casserole with meat and vegetable mixture. Spoon potatoes over meat evenly. Top potatoes with paprika and broil 6 to 8 inches from the heat until potatoes are evenly browned. Garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.
Sponsor: UT Beef Council