Update: Not a gas leak at lab on U of U campus

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Robert Boyd/FOX 13 News

SALT LAKE CITY — Work on a ventilation system in a lab on the University of Utah campus resulted in a gas leak scare.

At approximatley 6:15 p.m., Salt Lake City Fire crews responded to a report of a gas leak at the lab, located at 124 S. Central Campus Drive. Officials say a maintenance crew installing a new air vent called 911 to report a gas leak when they heard an air hissing sound.

Fire crews intially got a small reading of hydrogen cyanide in the building. Officials later determined that it was a false reading the air hissing sound was supply air hitting a closed damper.

The lab was evacuated during the supposed leak. No serious injuries were reported.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.