DRAPER, Utah -- Draper police announced Thursday afternoon the arrest of a 17-year-old suspect in connection with the 2012 death of a Riverton teen.
The juvenile was arrested Thursday morning in Grand Junction, Colo. and will be extradited to Utah.
Draper Police Chief Bryan Roberts said his department is confident that the juvenile suspect is responsible for the death of 15-year-old Annie Kasprzak.
"We are not looking for anyone else," Roberts said.
The juvenile was not identified, but Roberts confirmed he was a resident of Utah at the time of Annie's death.
Annie's parents reported her missing on March 10, 2012 and her body was found in the Jordan River the next day. Police said she had suffered extensive facial injuries. An autopsy showed the cause of death was blunt force trauma to the head.
A probable cause statement dated March 24, 2012 said police had received information from a witness that Annie had been assaulted during a party at the home of 31-year-old Daniel Ferry. The witness told police Annie was still alive, but unconscious, when she had been wrapped in a tarp and removed from the home by Ferry, 30-year-old Veanuia Vehekite and another male suspect who wasn't identified. The witness also said the three men returned to the home several hours later with blood on their clothes. Click here to read that probable cause statement.[PDF]
Vehekite and Ferry were both arrested in connection with Annie's death later that month. Vehekite was not charged and, in March 2013, police announced Ferry was no longer a person of interest in the case.
- Family holds vigil for murdered teen, offers $5,000 reward
- Man accused of murdering Riverton teen no longer a person of interest
- Person of interest in teen’s murder has parole hearing in separate case
- Person of interest in teen’s murder sentenced in separate case
- Person of interest in teen’s murder charged in separate case
- Search warrant reveals new details in Riverton teen’s death
- Second arrest made in Riverton teen’s murder
- Man accused of murdering Riverton teen
- Body found in Jordan River identified as Riverton Teen
- Family looking for answers after teen’s body found in Jordan River