Organizers: More than 100,000 attended final day of Salt Lake Comic Con

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SALT LAKE CITY -- Salt Lake Comic Con has come to a close, and the celebrities, vendors and costumed crowds have gone home.

The three-day event was bigger and better than before. Records were broken Saturday as more than 100,000 convention-goers attended the second annual Salt Lake Comic Con, according to event organizers.

Dan Farr, Salt Lake Comic Con founder, said the event had some hiccups.

“Not everything worked perfectly,” he said. “We had a few challenges getting everyone in on the first day because it was much larger than we anticipated.”

Dan Farr said VIP passes sold out a week in advance, and even pre-registration numbers didn't prepare them for the onslaught of visitors who just showed up to buy day-of tickets.

“We sold out,” Farr said. “We had full capacity in the building for the current set up. We had, from everybody I talked to ,everyone had a great time.”

Local businesses noticed the difference in business from last year as well.

“With how much bigger it was this year it definitely brought in a lot of people,” Toasters employee Catelyn Otte said.

Sunday, the Salt Palace was a significantly different picture: crews worked to tear down the various booths and statues as well as clean up from Salt Lake Comic Con’s biggest convention to date.

‘I’m surprised like everybody else that it’s only taken a year, but I will say Utah has the best fans in the world and it’s really because of them this thing has taken on so much energy on its own,” Farr said.

One of the highlights from this year and last was legend in the comic world Stan Lee. Gov. Gary Herbert even picked him up from the airport.

“Everybody loves Stan Lee,” Farr said. “In fact, when he gave his panel, he told the viewers there that Salt Lake Comic Con is the best comic con in the world. Stan Lee, the father of comic books, telling the attendees it’s the best comic con--it was amazing.”

The lawsuit from San Diego Comic-Con over the rights to the convention name is still an issue, but Farr said they've filed for an extension and feel confident Salt Lake Comic Con will be a convention Utahns enjoy for years to come.

Related story: Photos: Salt Lake Comic Con 2014


  • Christopher Beebe

    I didn’t go this time – mostly because of the high admission costs, but also because there were no celebrities there that interested me this time (no, not even Nimoy, because he was Skyping instead of appearing in person). I think that the Comic Convention will still continue to run – if not under “Comic Con”, then by whatever name it may have to be changed to if SDCC wins the lawsuit.

  • Buddy Paige

    The 2014 Salt Lake Comicon was a great success and I believe the 2015 event will be even bigger and better. I would like to offer a couple of ideas for the next convention. 1. Have one or more volunteers be ready to assist customers making large or heavy purchases. My visit was marred by having a couple of accidents while carrying a forty pound load for half a mile to my car. 2. If the next convention is more heavily attended than this year’s, Utah’s largest convention center will not have enough space to accommodate everyone. What about the possibility of splitting the convention into consecutive weekends, with separate guests and ticket packages? Just putting in my two cents worth.

  • Carl Goad

    Big Show, great facility, poorly managed convention. At least from a vendor’s perspective. When arriving to setup we were told our booth was in 4 different locations in the dealers room. When finally finding our actual booth it was easy to see why no one knew where it was at. We were on isle 1900, unfortunately they stopped labeling the isles after 1500. The convention staff and security volunteers could not even locate our booth. Oh yeah, then they put a wrestling ring in the middle of the dealer room, so everyone around the ring for 2 isles basically had to shut down once an hour for about 15 minutes because you could not heard your customers over the wrestling match. Every vendor we talked to said their sales were down 40% to 60% from the show in April. Which is truly amazing when you consider they had a much larger attendance this time.

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.