Six homes damaged, family pet lost in 3-alarm Magna apartment fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MAGNA, Utah -- At least two apartments were destroyed and several others damaged in an apartment fire in Magna on Monday evening.

Unified Fire crews responded to a three-alarm apartment fire at 8046 W. 3405 South.

According to resident Joanie Wintle, the fire started inside her fiancee's home.

They were barbecuing outside on the porch when the grill suddenly exploded. Within seconds, their home was filled with smoke and flames.

“I'm just in shock. It's unbelievable. It's like how everyone says. It’s just unbelievable, and everything is gone in and instant,” Wintle said.

While the family and other tenants were able to get out uninjured, the Wintles’ family pet did not survive.

“I was really scared, and I was hoping she'd be OK. But she's not. So, it's just really sad.  I loved that dog so much, and now she's gone,” Wintle’s daughter Diana said.

Officials with Unified Fire Authority confirmed the grill was the source of the fire.

After burning through the first apartment, the flames then jumped to the home next door, destroying it.

A total of six units were impacted, according to officials.

Two suffered fire damage, while four other had water damage.

6 comments

  • Alex T.

    WHY DID THEY LEAVE THERE PET JOANIE WINTLE? YOU WOULD LEAVE YOUR KIDS RIGHT? AND YOU DIDN’T NOTIFY YOUR NEIGHBORS THATS JUST MESSED UP. THERE MESSED UP PEOPLE IM GLAD I WASNT THERE NEIGHBORS. I LIVE ACROSD FROM THEM

  • Dan E.

    Alex- You’re right, it is a Condo Complex. But you do not have all of the information. I live in the building next to the one that burned. The family lost everything. They did grab their pet, but for some unknown reason he ran off back up to the house where he died. That is what I heard from multiple different people on the property as we watched this unfold. Don’t be so quick to judge. This family just lost everything!

    • Alex T.

      YEAH ITS SAD THEY LOST EVERYTHING BUT WHO BARBEQUE OUT THE PATIO AND THE ROOF IS ABOVE THEM? ONLY BEVIS AND BUTTHEAD WOULD DO THAT. HOPE THERE HOME INSURANCE WILL COVER MOST OF IT.

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.