Firefighters urge caution after fireworks spark 2 house fires in Ogden

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OGDEN, Utah - It was a busy Pioneer Day for Ogden Firefighters Thursday night as crews responded to two structure fires started by fireworks.

One home at 100 N. and Child’s St. had flames that were estimated to be 40 feet high. It started after a firework tipped over and exploded into bushes near the home. The fire caused $30,000 in damages to the home’s trailer, car and garage.

Just 20 minutes later, crews were called to another fire a few miles east. That fire caused $15,000 in damages to the garage. It happened after the homeowners put used fireworks into a garbage can near a garage. The garbage can caught on fire and destroyed the garage.

And with fireworks being legal to light off until the July 27, firefighters are urging everyone to be safe.

“If you are lighting off fireworks, make sure you’re lighting them off in an area that is not restricted," Chief Eric Bauman, Ogden City Fire Department, said. "Make sure you have a water source nearby and be aware of your surroundings."

Eight people are displaced due to these fires and all are staying with family nearby.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.