9-year-old girl recovering after passing out due to CO fumes

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

CACHE COUNTY, Utah — Emergency crews responded to Hyrum State Park Saturday after receiving reports a young girl had passed out after suffering from apparent carbon monoxide poisoning.

According to a press release from Cache County Sheriff’s Office, a 9-year-old girl from Nibley was boating on Hyrum Dam with her family, and she became sick after sitting on the back of the boat while the engine was running and ballasts were being filled with water.

The girl was exposed to the fumes for 10 to 15 minutes, and she became unresponsive after prolonged exposure. The girl regained consciousness some time after being removed from the area of the fumes.

Officials said the girl’s condition improve while they were on scene. The girl was released to family members, who drove her to Cache Valley Hospital in a private vehicle for further evaluation.

The girl’s age was initially reported by officials as 8, but they later corrected that information.

1 Comment

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.