Murray mother recovering after apartment fire, children unharmed

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MURRAY, Utah – A woman in Murray is recovering after her mattress caught fire in her apartment overnight.

Fire crews used a tactic called “Fast Action” to quickly control the fire before it could spread.

“Everything in a home is flammable,” Murray Deputy Fire Marshal Pat Killon said. “We reach certain temperatures and everything goes off; the mattress, it would have lit up. It would have lit the bedroom up and then the bedroom would have gone to the hallway and on and on and on.”

Killion said there is a bit of smoke damage in the apartment.

The woman was taken to the hospital in unknown condition.

Authorities said a neighbor is taking care of the woman’s children.

Red Cross officials said they will shelter the family and help them as long as needed.

Officials have not confirmed how the bed ignited.

The woman’s identity has not been released.


Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.