Explosion on boat sends Sandy man to hospital

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SANDY, Utah – A man was taken to a hospital with second-degree burns Sunday after an explosion in Sandy Sunday.

Officials said a father and son were working on a boat when fumes ignited and caused an explosion. The incident occurred around 5:45 p.m. in the area near 900 E. 11000 South.

Riley Brown said he and his father were checking to see if water had gotten into the engine, and as part of that they held down the starter for an extended time.

“Just a large explosion, started everything, it was engulfed in fire, went through and he was on fire himself,” he said. “We actually got him out of the boat onto the ground, got him sprayed off with the hose. I was blown back from the boat a little bit.”

Riley’s father was taken to the University of Utah Burn Center with second-degree burns. Riley Brown suffered minor injuries and was not transported to a hospital.

FOX 13 News will have more information as it becomes available.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.