Fire destroys garage at Orem home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

OREM, Utah — A backyard smoker ignited a fire that destroying the garage of a home in Orem.

It happened Sunday at a home on 600 North.

Firefighters said a smoker was too close to the garage when it caught fire around 3 p.m. The blaze started on the rear wall of the garage and spread quickly.

“The fire was contained, you can see that it totally engulfed everything in the garage, to include the vehicle, propane tanks, ammo,” said Batallion Chief Kevin Kemp, Orem Fire Department. “It completely destroyed the wall on the exterior of the home, exterior of the fire wall but it never got into the home.”

Officials estimate the damages to be between $50,000 and $60,000.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.