Man speaks after slamming into moose at freeway speeds

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

MURRAY -- James Gamble is a very lucky man.

He slammed into a moose Saturday night on Highway 40 near Strawberry Reservoir -- and survived the crash that smashed up his car. Utah Highway Patrol troopers estimate Gamble was driving about 65 miles per hour when it happened.

"All of a sudden, in the middle of the road, is this gigantic moose," Gamble said Monday. "I could hardly even react."

Gamble said he remembers braking, but couldn't avoid the collision.

"The front windshield was entirely caved in, along with the roof," UHP Trooper Dale Talbot told FOX 13 on Monday.

Gamble describes hitting the full grown moose as "like hitting a brick wall." He said after the crash, he tried to roll out of the car and got his foot stuck under the tire.

"So I had one foot inside on the brake, one foot trapped under the wheel and then people coming up behind me. I'm waving, saying, 'Help! Help!" he said.

Gamble credited passers-by with helping, including one woman who put him in her car to stay warm as he waited for an ambulance. He was flown by medical helicopter to Intermountain Medical Center where he underwent surgery.

Trooper Talbot, who responded to the crash, said it is amazing Gamble wasn't killed.

"I was really impressed how well the guy was doing considering how hard the moose hit," he said.

It isn't Gamble's first brush with death: Last year, he was T-boned in a crash. He said in 1993, he was shot in the head during a convenience store robbery in Salt Lake City.

"There must be some reason I'm not being called home yet," he said Monday. "It makes me thankful."


  • Harley Hill

    I (Harley Hill), Peter Barga, and Kayla Walker was first on the scene he was climbing out of his car. We grabbed all the coats and towels we could and wrapped him up I kept telling him he didn’t look bad and to keep his eyes closed. He asked us to call his wife and tell her about the accident. We pushed the car off the road and pulled the moose off the road a woman showed up (the one that was interviewed) and we put him in her car to warm up. Finally the ambulance showed up and we helped put him in the ambulance. We stuck around for a bit and spoke with the police. We felt everything had been taken care of and headed on our way. We are very happy to see him doing well!!! I still can’t get the smell of moose off my clothes.

    • James Gamble

      Thank you so much Harley, Peter, Kayla, and everyone else on the scene who helped me! Your kindness and quick action saved me from much worse trauma. God bless you all!

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.