- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 4-oz can green chile peppers
- 1/2 cup mozzarella or cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 jalapeno, diced (optional)
- 4 slices of pepper jack cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- 4 pieces iceberg lettuce, large enough to cover the burger
- 4 tomato slices
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
Bring the beef to room temperature for 30 minutes.
In a large mixing bowl, combine beef, green chiles and grated cheddar cheese with salt and pepper. Mix just until the ingredients are incorporated. Form 4 burgers.
Grill or cook in a large frying pan for 3-4 minutes per side, depending on how you like your burgers. In the final 30 seconds, top each burger with a slice of pepper jack cheese.
While the burgers are cooking, in a small bowl stir together the mayonnaise, chili powder, cumin, jalapeno, if using, salt and pepper. Set aside.
Two minutes before the burgers are done cooking, place a slice of cheese on each burger. Once cheese has melted, assemble by placing some of the mayonnaise sauce on the inside of each bun half. Add lettuce leaves, and top with a burger and tomato, diced.
Sponsor: Utah Beef Council