- 1 lb. ground beef or lamb
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 1/2 cup kalamata or black olives, sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 6 pits halves
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
In a large skillet, cook beef, onion and garlic with salt and pepper over medium heat 6- 8 minutes or until beef is no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain.
Stir in olives, tomato sauce and oregano. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until sauce is slightly thickened, stirring occasionally.
Place some of the meat mixture in each pita. Top with cucumber and tomato slices. Add cheese to each. Serve immediately.