E-cigarette explodes while charging

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SALT LAKE CITY — An e-cigarette exploded Monday afternoon in a Salt Lake City home and shot into a bag of dog treats, fire officials said.

Salt Lake City Fire responded to the 1500 South block of 900 West on a report of an exploded firecracker. During further investigation crews discovered an e-cigarette was being charged through a USB port on a computer, said Jason Asay, spokesman for Salt Lake City Fire.

Asay said the e-cigarette overheated and exploded. Part of the cigarette shot across the room and landed in a bag of doggie treats next to a wall, leaving a black mark.

There were no reported injuries.

Asay said some electronic devices are not designed to be charged using a computer. He advised people to check safety information on a device before plugging it into a computer.

1 Comment

  • Shae

    That has nothing to do with a computer! My house almost burned down and mine was plugged directly into the wall. We heard a loud pop and then saw a huge flash of light and then just fire. Brand new carpet destroyed and the wall was all black. I think it’s wise to let people know that it’s not just because it was plugged into a computer!

Comments are closed.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.