- 1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup finely crushed baked tortilla chips (about 3/4 ounce)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup mashed peeled avocado
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped tomato
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- Remaining ingredients:
- 2 (6-inch) whole wheat pitas, each cut in half crosswise
- 4 thin red onion slices, separated into rings
- No-Salt Seasoning and Pepper, to taste
To prepare patties, place pinto beans in a medium bowl; partially mash with a fork.
Add cheese and next 5 ingredients (through egg white), no salt seasoning and pepper; stir until well combined. Shape bean mixture into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) oval patties.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until patties are browned and thoroughly heated.
To prepare spread, combine avocado and next 4 ingredients, no salt seasoning and pepper; stir well. Place 1 patty in each pita half. Spread about 2 tablespoons avocado spread over patty in each pita half; top with onions.