Hazmat crews respond after workers inhale toxic fumes

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SALT LAKE CITY – Hazmat crews and paramedics responded to a Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints administration building Thursday where workers mixed chemicals that produced toxic fumes.

Authorities said three people reportedly inhaled the fumes and went down. Those impacted were taken from the area safely, and one of them went to a hospital in a private vehicle.

Officials said the victim went to the hospital as a precautionary measure, and the victim was not accompanied by paramedics.

Fire department officials said some kind of acid was being mixed in a fifth-floor men’s restroom at an administration building owned by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Two firefighters in protective suits were sent into the restroom with monitoring equipment to determine if toxic fumes were still present.

Officials said this is an isolated incident and the fumes are not spreading. FOX 13 News will have more information as it becomes available.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.