Elizabeth Smart speaks at Pennsylvania university

Fire officials express caution when using e-cigarettes

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Fire officials are receiving reports of electronic cigarettes exploding.

State Fire Marshall Coy Porter said cases are springing up around the country.

“There are fairly new to the marketplace, they’re just becoming more and more popular, so we’re worried we’re going to see more and more of these,” Porter said.

This past weekend 3-year-old Connor Barlow was burned when his mother’s e-cigarette exploded in the car.

The hot coil flew into the child’s car seat, which caught fire. Barlow was left with first- and second-degree burns.

Investigators say the mother was using the correct factory-issued charger, which failed.

Porter said he’s not sure why the e-cigarettes are exploding but consumers need to be aware of the potential danger of the fairly new products.