Spinach and Tomato Egg White Omelet (06.27.13)
by Jennifer Burns, Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute
- 4 large egg whites or 4 tablespoons egg substitute
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted canola butter
- 1/2 cup spinach, chopped
- 1/4 tomato, diced and juiced
- 2 ounces part-skim cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 apple, diced
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 1 teaspoon sliced almonds
- Pinch cinnamon
- Salt Substitute and Pepper, to taste
In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites or substitute with a pinch each of salt substitute and pepper. Melt the butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the eggs and cook, stirring and tilting the pan, until just set, 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkle with the spinach, tomatoes and cheese; fold the eggs over the filling. Cover pan to melt cheese for 1-2 minutes on low heat. Transfer to a plate. Garnish with chives.
Combine the apple, banana, almonds and cinnamon in a bowl. Serve fresh fruit with omelet.