by Jennifer Burns, Utah Department of Health Diabetes Prevention and Control Program
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4 scallions, diced
- 1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup peanuts or almonds, unsalted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 large egg
- Olive oil
- Whole-wheat English muffins and lettuce, to serve with burgers
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Suggested toppings: tomatoes, spinach, onions, cucumbers or any sliced vegetable
Heat grill to high. In a food processor, combine chickpeas, scallions, breadcrumbs, peanuts, cumin, and ginger; season with salt and pepper. Pulse until roughly chopped. Remove half the mixture to a bowl; add egg to food processor. Process until smooth; add to reserved mixture in bowl, and mix well.
Form the mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick patties. Brush each side generously with oil; grill until charred, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Serve the burgers on English muffins with mustard and suggested toppings.