by Jennifer Burns, Jamba Juice
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 1 clove garlic
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons tahini (sesame seed paste; optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 6 whole wheat wraps or tortillas
- 6 ounces Pepper Jack cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, cut into 1” matchstick size
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, loosely packed
- 1/4 cup sprouts, loosely packed (optional)
In a food processor, puree the chickpeas and garlic with ¼ cup olive oil, lemon juice, tahini (if using), cumin, salt and pepper until smooth and creamy. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons water as necessary to achieve the desired consistency.
In a large skillet, add the remaining oil, sauté the onions with the vinegar, salt and pepper over medium heat for 20-25 minutes until caramelized. Spread some of the hummus on the bottom of each wrap or tortilla. Top with the onions, cheese, carrots, spinach and sprouts, if using. Roll up wraps or tortilla; cut in half. Serve immediately or heat in the oven for 4-5 minutes at 350 degrees.
Note: Add edamame, tofu or grilled chicken for extra protein.