Whole Wheat Veggie Pasta Bowls (04.04.13)
by Jennifer Burns, Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute
- 1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup seasoned whole wheat bread crumbs
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 15-oz. can no-salt added white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup edamame, shelled
- 5 ounces baby spinach (about 2½ cups)
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tomato, diced
- Salt substitute and Pepper, to taste
Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente, about 10 minutes or as package directs.
Warm 1 tablespoon of. oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add bread crumbs; cook, stirring occasionally, until toasted, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
Warm remaining 1 tablespoon of. oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic and snap peas; sauté for 2-3 minutes. Stir in beans, edamame and broth, Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer. Add in spinach and cook another 2 to 3 minutes.
Drain pasta, reserving 1/4 cup cooking water. Add pasta to sauce, stirring in reserved pasta cooking water. Season with basil, salt substitute and pepper. Divide among 6 bowls. Top with cheese and tomato. Sprinkle each portion with bread crumbs.