Chicken Burgers with a Twist (03.21.13)
by Jennifer Burns, Intermountain Medical Center Heart Institute
- 3/4 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 can black or white beans, smashed or pureed
- 1/2 cup fine whole wheat breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg white
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/2 medium yellow or white onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup low-sodium ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 whole wheat or whole grain hamburger buns
- 4 tablespoons low-sodium mustard
- 4 tomato slices
- 1/4 cup baby spinach leaves
- 4 thin red onion slices
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Combine the first 11 ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well using your hands. Form into 4 patties. In a skillet up to medium-medium high heat, add the oil. Cook the patties for 5-6 minutes on each side or until completely cooked through. Brush each side of the buns with remaining tablespoon of oil. Place on a baking sheet and cook in the oven for 5 minutes. Brush each bun with the mustard. Top with a tomato slice, some of the spinach leaves and an onion slice. Serve immediately.
Cook’s note: By adding the beans, it cuts back on the meat and adds fiber.