MURRAY, Utah -- A homeowner in Murray was surprised when the water in his pond turned lime green.
The water was tested by the Salt Lake Valley Heath Department and determined to be a non-toxic dye called flourescein. The dye is legal to use under the Clean Water Act.
But it was will a shock to Mark Widdicombe, the homeowner.
"I freaked out, I was like where is this coming from -- my whole yard is filled with it and I'm actually watering three other yards here with it," Widdicombe said. "I'm thinking 'is everything going to die, are my plants that I just planted, are they still okay.' So yeah, it was pretty shocking."
The health department said the dye is often used by irrigation companies to test where leaks are flowing.