Utah State Fair ‘Funeral Potatoes’ Winning Recipe
The recipe by Laurie Willberg, the winner of the Utah’s Own Funeral Potatoes contest at the 2012 Utah State Fair:
Southwestern Funeral Potatoes
products in italics are Utah’s Own
- 8 medium russet potatoes
- 1/2 tsp. Redmond Real Salt
- 1 cup dry Sawyer’s Premium Potato Soup Mix
- 2 cups water, boiling
- 1 cup Meadow Gold Low Fat Buttermilk
- 1 cut Meadow Gold Sour Cream
- 2 cups grated Banquet Jalapeno Jack Cheese
- 1/4 tsp. Redmond Real Salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 1/2 cup crushed Don Julio Yellow Corn Tortilla Chips
- 1 cup grated Banquet Medium Cheddar Ceese
- 1 jar Laurie’s Buffalo Gourmet Salsa – Roasted Chili with Black Beans and Corn
Wash and scrub potatoes under cool water, place in stockpot with enough water to generously cover and add 1/2 tsp. salt. Boil 30 minutes or until tender but not soft. Remove from pot, place in colander and run cold water over potatoes to begin cooling. When cool enough to handle, peel and dice into 1/2 inch cubes. Place in large mixing bowl.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In medium mixing bowl, place potato soup mix and cover with boiling water, whisk together until smooth. Add buttermilk, sour cream, jalapeno jack cheese, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine ingredients. Pour mixture over diced potatoes and stir gently until all potatoes are well covered. Place in 9 x 13 pan.
Kids can have fun helping with this next step! Place contents of 1/2 bag (9 oz. bag) corn tortilla chips in large Ziploc bag. Seal bag and crunch until pieces are broken small enough for topping the casserole. Mix crushed chips with cheddar cheese. Cover casserole with chips and cheese mixture.
Bake uncovered 45 minutes, or until bubbly and cheese is slightly browned. Serve with salsa on the side to put on top of casserole as desired.