Officials credit 3 boys with helping fight small house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

SALT LAKE CITY -- The Salt Lake City Fire Department is crediting three young men for helping them extinguish a small fire Tuesday afternoon.

At around 3:30, the department responded to a fire near 9th East and 17th South.

When officials arrived, they say they found 12-year-old James Higgins, 13-year-old Dallen Unruh and 15-year-old Michael Unruh spraying water on two burning garbage cans.

They say the fire started burning a corner of the home and it's deck.

The boys say they first noticed the fire and took action until the homeowner could help fight the flames.

"We rushed over and got the hose that was right on the side of his house," said Dallen. "We finally go to turn it on and rushed over here. And so, we were spraying this right here from top to bottom with the hose from over there."

Investigators determined a discarded cigarette near the garbage cans started the fire.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.