SALT LAKE CITY -- More than 30 dead ducks were found around the Sugar House Park pond over the weekend.
Wildlife officials said the heat creates a cesspool from a botulism-type toxin. When ducks drink the water, it causes "limp neck."
They can't keep their heads above water and eventually drown.
Residents say something needs to be done.
"when I was walking my dog this morning, we found all the dead ducks out here and there were some suffering and that was my biggest issue," said Tiffany Davis, a resident who witnessed the ducks.
Officials said they see this every year and the only way to help it is to drain the pond.
The botulism is not harmful to humans. But other animals, like dogs, can get sick if they come in contact with the ducks.