Intermountain Healthcare warns of carbon monoxide dangers

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

Intermountain Healthcare issued a reminder than carbon monoxide poisoning is possible any time of the year.

Earlier this month, two people were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. One patient was exposed while running a gasoline-powered concrete saw in his basement without proper ventilation, according to Intermountain Healthcare.

"Basically anything that burns, anything that is powered by gas source, can put out enough carbon monoxide to overcome the individual quite rapidly," said Dr. Marc Robbins, Hyperbaric Medicine, Utah Valley Regional Hospital.

Carbon monoxide symptoms are similar to the flu and include headache, nausea, and dizziness

Be sure there is proper ventilation when working with gas-powered tools used in home remodeling projects. Do not use gas-powered generators, stoves or lamps inside a tent when camping. When boating, be sure to stay away from the exhaust and that the system is not blocked.

In 2011, Utah Valley Regional's Hyperbaric Medicine Center saw 11 patients for emergency treatment; five poisoned from emissions from being towed behind a boat on Utah Lake and six poisoned by placing gasoline-powered equipment too close to a living area.

Notice: you are using an outdated browser. Microsoft does not recommend using IE as your default browser. Some features on this website, like video and images, might not work properly. For the best experience, please upgrade your browser.