Evacuations lifted at schools in Alpine School District
HIGHLAND, Utah — Students at Freedom Elementary School in Highland and Skyridge High School in Lehi are back in class after a gas leak forced an evacuation at the school Tuesday morning.
A representative for the Alpine School District said someone smelled gas shortly before 8 a.m.
Lone Peak Fire officials discovered workers at a business near Freedom Elementary had been cleaning out their sewer drains and the smell got in through the school’s vents, the Alpine School District representative said.
About 1,100 Freedom Elementary students were evacuated to a church across the street from the school. The evacuation was lifted as of 8:40 a.m.
Skyridge High School, which is about two miles west of Freedom Elementary, was also evacuated because of the smell. Classes at both schools are back in session.