By The Chipper Chef
1/2 c Water, warm
1 T Yeast
1/2 c Butter
1 1/2 c Whole Milk
1/2 c Sugar
1 c. Mashed Pumpkins
1 tsp Lemon juice, fresh
1 tsp Lemon zest
1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Nutmeg
1/2 tsp Cloves
1/4 tsp Ginger
6-7 c all purpose Flour
Canola oil for frying the doughnuts
Cream Cheese glaze
1) Add yeast to warm water.
2) In a medium saucepan, mix the butter, milk, sugar, and pumpkin. Over medium heat, stir till butter has melted and the sugar has dissolved, about 3 minutes. Remove from stove and let cool.
3) Pour the cooled pumpkin mixture into a mixer and add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
4) Add the yeast mixture, the lemon, salt, and the spices.
5) Add half the flour and combine, then add the remaining flour, one cup at a time, to form a soft but firm dough.
6) Place dough in an oiled bowl, cover with oiled saran wrap, and let rise till double (1-2 hours.)
7) Punch dough down and roll out onto a floured surface, about 1/2 inch thick. Using a donut cutter, cut the doughnuts and place onto a pan with parchment paper. Cover and let rise again for another 30 min.
8) While donuts are rising, prepare the oil. Pour oil 3 inches deep into a heavy pot. Heat oil to 375 degrees.
9) Drop donuts carefully into the hot oil, let cook for 1 minute, then ten the doughnut over and fry the other side.
10) Remove the donut and let the excess oil drain off. The dip doughnut into the prepared glaze.
11) Enjoy with a large glass of milk and a hungry friend.
If you don`t have a kitchen thermometer for the oil, don`t worry. The first donut is always a test run anyways. If it browns too quickly, turn the heat down and wait a few minutes. If it`s taking forever to brown, then crank up the heat.
Cream Cheese Glaze
8 oz Cream Cheese, softened
4 T Butter, softened
1 T sour cream
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 1/4 c. Powdered Sugar
1/2 c whole milk.
1) Combine the cream cheese and butter in a mixer till light and fluffy.
2) Add the sour cream, vanilla, and powdered sugar and mix. Whip for a minute.
3) With the mixer till on, slowly pour in the milk.
4) Try not to eat the glaze like soup.