Man burns legs after gas can in van catches fire in driveway of Highland home

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
Van catches fire in driveway of Highland home. Courtesy of Brooke Young

Van catches fire in driveway of Highland home. Courtesy of Brooke Young

HIGHLAND, Utah — A man sustained burns on his legs after a gas can in the back of his van caught fire, engulfing the vehicle in flames, Tuesday afternoon.

The incident occurred in the driveway of a Highland home, 10278 Mystic Drive. The victim was using a generator in the back of his van to power carpet cleaning equipment when a gas can caught fire, said Joe McRae, spokesman for Lone Peak Fire Department.

McRae said the man had several gas cans and a propane tank inside the vehicle. As the victim attempted to pull the burning can from the van, some gasoline spilled on his pants, catching his legs on fire.

The other gas cans inside the van also caught fire and the propane tank exploded, engulfing the van in flames.

No firefighters were injured as they put the fire out. The victim is listed in fair condition.