Crews repair gas leak that prompted evacuations in South Salt Lake
SOUTH SALT LAKE, Utah – A gas leak forced officials in South Salt Lake to close roads and evacuate some businesses Wednesday morning, but after about an hour and a half the leak was repaired and the evacuation order lifted.
According to a representative for the South Salt Lake Fire Department, a backhoe operator accidentally ruptured a 4-inch gas line near 3350 S Main St, causing the leak.
So far, no injuries have been reported. The leak was reported just after 10 a.m., and fire officials said within about an hour and a half Questar crews had repaired the leak. Citizens have been allowed back into the businesses that were evacuated.