Financial expert Rachel Langlois with Cyprus Credit Union tells us how to plan a weekly money date.
1. Make a weekly "money date." Commit to sitting down with your money once a week for a money date. During this time, update your budget, review your accounts and track your progress against your financial goals. Like any relationship, if you want your financial life to improve, you must spend time with your money.
2. Determine the date and time each week for your meeting.
3. Set a place where you always hold the meeting. Do not hold the meeting in your bedroom, that should be kept as a no money talk zone. You can hold it at the kitchen table, outside on the patio, or in your family room; just make sure it`s usually held in the same place every time.
4. Keep the meeting short. Set a timer for 15 minutes.
5. Remember to always practice 'Instant Forgiveness' in the meeting. This is the most important piece! If your partner has overspent in a particular category or made a mistake in the way they have tracked, or perhaps not even tracked at all that week, let them know it`s okay and that you know they`ll do better next week.
For more great financial advice from Cyprus Credit Union, go here.