Detective Tony Tueller with West Valley City Police Department shared five easy ways everyone can make their neighborhoods safer.
- Talk to your kids, neighbors, family and friends about crime. Explain the law and right and wrong to children.
- Participate in a Neighborhood Watch program. If you do not already have one in your neighborhood, consider starting one. Make sure your group has a clear mission statement and universal understanding of the goals in your neighborhood.
- Build a relationship with the police department in your area. Invite them out to meet neighbors.
- Make sure the anti-crime message is consistent in all areas of your neighborhood. Be aware of crime trends.
- Communicate with your community. Promote safety.
There are a number of great resources if you need help:
Emergency Dispatch: 911
Non-Emergency Dispatch: 801.840.4000
Crime Statistics: wvc-ut.gov/crimemap or you can look at Salt Lake's here. Check with your local police department to get link.
Tip-a-cop Hotline: 801.963.3459