Surge in interdiction stops in Utah nets drug seizures, info in homicide investigations
UTAH — The State Bureau of Investigation and Utah Highway Patrol say they’ve seen an increase in interdiction stops since July 17, and in that time they’ve seized hundreds of pounds of drugs and have also assisted in several homicide cases.
The press release from the Department of Public Safety lists 10 interdiction stops that occurred on various roads in Utah between July 17 and 26, and nearly 400 pounds of marijuana, more than 10 pounds of methamphetamine and other drugs were seized.
Police also located a suspect wanted for homicide in Virginia Beach during one stop on July 24. Another stop on July 25 resulted in the questioning of a possible suspect in a homicide that occurred in Cedar City. An abandoned vehicle found July 26 may have been used in the murder of a Minnesota resident.
The list of stops and outcomes from DPS is reproduced below:
- July 17th: SBI agents assisted UHP after a traffic stop resulted in the confiscation of 18 pounds of marijuana was found in a vehicle
- July 22nd: UHP Troopers arrived at the scene of a crash on I-80. When Troopers arrived, it was determined the driver was under the influence and placed him under arrest. After a search of the vehicle, agents and troopers recovered a small amount of methamphetamine, drug paraphernalia and a hand gun. It was then discovered that the driver was on parole and is a convicted felon and a documented gang member.
- July 23rd: During a stop on I-80 UHP K9 “Bear” indicated a narcotic odor coming form the bed of the truck. A probable cause search revealed approximately 300 pounds of marijuana in the bed of the truck. One suspect was taken into custody. SBI agents are investigating the case
- July 24th: Troopers stopped a vehicle for speeding on I-70 in Emery County. A probable cause search led to marijuana, 900 oxycodone pills and one ounce of liquid codeine. Two suspects were arrested. SBI is continuing to investigate the case.
- July 24th: During a traffic stop, Troopers discovered 48 packages of marijuana weighing approximately 48 pounds of marijuana.
- July 24th: A routine traffic stop in Emery County led to the discovery of 10 pounds of methamphetamine ice. SBI agents are investigating the case.
- July 24th: A UHP Trooper stooped a vehicle for a registration violation. During the stop, dispatch alerted the Trooper of a NCIC alert on the subject. The subject was wanted for homicide in Virginia Beach, Virginia. The subject was taken into custody.
- July 25th: Troopers in Green River stopped a vehicle that was after an attempt to locate (ATL) alert was sent. The vehicle matched the description of a possible suspect in a homicide in Cedar City. SBI agents interviewed the subjects and information was shared with Cedar City investigators.
- July 25th: During a traffic stop a Trooper deployed his K9 which gave a positive indication of marijuana on the vehicle. A search found approximately 11 pounds of marijuana.
- July 26th: SBI agents were requested by law enforcement officers from Minnesota to coordinate and assist in processing an abandoned vehicle found in Utah that could have been used to commit the murder of a resident of Minnesota. Agents worked with the Utah State Crime Lab and two detectives from Minnesota to process the vehicle at the SBI warehouse.