Natural gas odor forces evacuation at Oakridge Elementary in SLC
SALT LAKE CITY — An odor of gas temporarily forced an evacuation at Oakridge Elementary School in Salt Lake City Thursday morning.
Granite School District officials first reported the evacuation, at 4325 South Jupiter Drive, around 10:20 a.m. Thursday. They said the evacuation was a precautionary measure and all of the school’s students and staff are safe.
Unified Fire Authority officials investigated the building and cleared it for use. Classes have resumed and school is proceeding as normal.
According to the Granite School District, the gas smell was caused by the fumes of a leaf blower that were sucked into an external air intake, then distributed through the school.