5-year-old Louisiana girl saves blind grandmother from fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.
By Keith Allen

CNN

(CNN) — A child’s memory can be an amazing — and, in this case — lifesaving thing.

Recalling a fall field trip to a firehouse with her prekindergarten class, 5-year-old Cloe Woods saved her blind grandmother from a fire inside their Kenner, Louisiana, home, a fire official in that New Orleans suburb said Saturday.

Kenner Fire Department District Chief Patrick Ardeneaux told CNN that Woods heard a smoke detector go off around 7 a.m. Wednesday, then went into another bedroom and woke up her blind grandmother.

The 5-year old then led her grandmother outside and to a neighbor’s house where they dialed 911, according to Ardeneaux.

Police and firefighters took it from there, working together to extinguish the blaze that they believe was sparked by food left on a stove.

Ardeneaux, the Kenner district fire chief, recalled that his department hosted Woods’ class during a field trip in October.

“All the schools come to the fire house, we show them around, give them a safety talk,” he said. “It just happened to stick with this one little girl.”