How to help: Northern California wildfire relief

Firefighters rescue child from balcony, dog dies in Layton apartment fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LAYTON, Utah — Emergency crews responded to a fire in a lower-level residence at an apartment complex in Layton Saturday, and when they arrived at the scene they saw a child clinging to a balcony railing.

According to a press release from the Layton City Fire Department, the fire was at the Quail Cove Apartment complex at 248 West Antelope Drive and broke out around 10:38 a.m.

When firefighters and police arrived, they saw heavy black smoke coming from a lower level apartment. Firefighters and police, “….noticed a small child clinging to a railing on the second floor balcony. Crews quickly pulled this child to safety.”

Fire crews worked to extinguish the blaze as police officers evacuated occupants on the upper levels.

Initial information indicates an 18-year sleeping in the apartment awoke to the sound of the smoke alarm, saw smoke and escaped outside. That teen and five others were evaluated at the scene for smoke inhalation and released without being taken to hospitals.

A dog that apparently sought refuge under a bed died during the fire.

The press release states the 18-year-old’s mother had used a towel to pat out a small fire that started on a burner due to excessive cooking coil. The woman said the towel was scorched and burned a little, and after patting out the fire she put the towel onto some clothing that was in the laundry room waiting to be washed.

The woman then left the apartment to get the mail, and within 10 minutes she returned to find smoke coming from the apartment and her son fleeing the structure.

“Very good that the management of this apartment complex has an effective smoke alarm check and saved this young man’s life,” Public Information Official Doug Bitton stated in the press release. “The bad news is that the public needs to confirm smoldering items are completely extinguished before discarding the item anywhere.”

The damages from the fire are estimated to be at $100,000, and the renters are not insured. The occupants have received assistance from the American Red Cross.

 

2 comments

  • Kimberly Barry

    People have to be more careful . The sad thing is the MANAGER THERE IS A REAL BI##H! THIS POOR LADY AND HER SON WILL BE KICKED OUT!

Comments are closed.