No one seriously injured in Cottonwood Heights 2-alarm house fire

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

COTTONWOOD HEIGHTS, Utah -- A Cottonwood Heights family has been displaced after the home they were renting was destroyed in a fire Tuesday afternoon.

Police said the fire appears to have been caused by a 5-year-old boy who was playing with a lighter.

Unified Fire Authority officials said the fire started in the basement of a home near 2200 E 7400 S. Fire crews responded to the home shortly before 2 p.m.

Homeowner Sheri Caldwell said she and her husband were renting the home out to a woman and her three children.

Although the home will likely need to be rebuilt, Caldwell said she is more concerned for the family.

"They're very upset. They've lost everything. I have to put in a plug for renter's insurance, because they don't have any, and it could have made things a lot easier for them. So, we're broken hearted over that, but everybody's OK. That's what matters," Caldwell said.

2 comments

Comments are closed.