- 15 baby sweet bell peppers (about 2-1/2 to 3 inches long, about 1-1/4 pounds)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2/3 cup regular or spicy 100% vegetable juice
- 1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed, squeezed dry or fresh, chopped
- 1/4 cup uncooked whole wheat or regular couscous
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat shredded Parmesan, Monterey Jack, white Cheddar or Italian-blend cheese
Heat oven to 400°F. Cut bell peppers in half lengthwise; remove seeds and membranes, but not stem. Place peppers, cut-sides up, on two rimmed baking sheets.
Combine ground beef, vegetable juice, spinach, couscous, garlic, oregano, salt and black pepper in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Spoon beef mixture evenly into peppers. Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake, uncovered, in 400°F oven 25 to 30 minutes or until instant-read thermometer inserted into center of pepper registers 160°F and peppers begin to brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Sponsor: Utah Beef Council