Child in critical condition after using gas can as fire aid

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

LAYTON, Utah – A young boy was taken to a hospital by medical helicopter Saturday to be treated for critical burns he sustained to the face, neck and chest after he used gasoline to either ignite or accelerate a fire.

Battalion Chief Mike Adams, Layton City Fire Department, said the incident occurred in the area near 1200 North Church St. in Layton around 11 a.m. Saturday.

FOX 13 News’ Todd Tanner reports the 10-year-old boy’s parents said the family had gotten together to make s'mores Friday night in some kind of fire pit or fire can.

The parents said the young child was alone in the backyard Saturday morning and wanted to restart the fire. There was a gas can in the yard used for the lawnmower that was not locked up. The boy’s father, Richard Gittins, said rain from the previous night meant the wood was wet, and he thinks that’s why his son tried to use gasoline.

"I was right there, that's how fast it happened," he said.

It was not immediately clear whether the child used the gasoline to start the fire or if he added gasoline once it had already been ignited.

When the gasoline ignited, the boy’s clothes also caught fire. He suffered burns to his face, neck and chest--all told the burns covered about 20 percent of his body.

"To see my son on fire was unexplainable, you know," Gittins said. "That's a feeling I don't ever wanna feel again. You don't think it can happen to you, but it can."

The boy stopped, dropped and rolled--just as he'd learned in school.

Officials transported the child to University Hospital in Salt Lake City in critical condition. As of Saturday evening, the boy was alert and awake. Officials expect him to recover.

Gittins said he hopes other parents will learn from this incident and take care to stow gasoline in a safe, secure location.

"And it all could have been prevented by a bicycle lock," he said.

5 comments

  • Amber Jones

    My 10 year old son was also burned in a gas fire in November 2012, My heart goes out to your sweet boy and your family. It is the hardest thing you will ever experience but you are in the care of the greatest burn unit in this part of the country. Stay strong and take every day minute by minute, that’s what will help get you through. Prayers are with you all

  • Kathy

    Dear parents, I KNOW it’s hard to hear ths especially considering your son is in a burn unit right now. But somettimes you are doing ‘everything right’ andd accidents still happen. I’m sure in hind sight you would do things different. YOU SOUND LIKE GREAT PARENTS & YOU WOULD NEVER PUT YOUR CHILDREN IN HARMS WAY. As a parent of boys that ‘tested the limits’ and made it through, All I can offer you is our prayers. Hopefully, this experience will serve as a reminder to parents everywhere ‘how quickly life can change & hopefully they will take all precautions to prevent it. However, sometimes things like this CAN HAPPEN EVEN WHEN ALL PRECAUTIONS HAVE BEEN TAKEN. God Bless your son & your family.

  • Anon

    I am slightly confused by this report. In one statement the child was outside alone and the next comment “I was right there, that’s how fast it happened,”.

    So which is it, alone or right there? I only ask because I am the biological father of the boy in question and haven’t gotten a straight answer from the family about what happened.

Comments are closed.