Extension cord sparks $500K condo fire in Roy

This is an archived article and the information in the article may be outdated. Please look at the time stamp on the story to see when it was last updated.

ROY, Utah -- A 3-alarm condominium fire in Roy forced 6 homeowners out indefinitely as cleanup crews examine the building trying to decide if it can be restored to livability.

Roy Deputy Fire Chief Jeff Comeau says an extension cord on one of the condos' decks sparked the blaze in the complex at 2779 West and 5525 South just before 8 a.m.

"Our chief actually called a second alarm immediately because there were indications there could be people trapped inside the building," said Comeau.

Trevor Henderson lives in the building. His condo is adjacent to the one where the fire started.

"I pounded on doors. Nobody answered. I didn't  know if they were asleep or if they were gone. It turns out most of them were gone," said Henderson, who said by the time he finished knocking on his neighbors' doors, there was smoke pouring through the cracks.

Henderson's wife and three children all evacuated safely. Their neighbors across the hall? One was in the hospital, the other at work.

Flamino Montoya was recovering from surgery on his spine. The Iraq war vet got a ride from the VA to look at the damage.

"A little overwhelming to think about where to start," said Montoya.

Fire crews were able to contain the blaze, and stopped the flames from spreading to nearby buildings. They were also able to get everyone out of the building safely while they battled the fire.

Comeau estimates damage at $500 thousand. He says the fire was definitely accidental.

Fox 13 will update this story with the latest information as soon as it becomes available.

 

 

 

1 Comment

  • Jessica

    This is really devastating how you guys can just laugh after this tragedy. That was my brother and his familys home that just got burned down and they lost all their clothes, pictures, and all the stuff they worked hard for. So in my eyes thats not something to laugh about.

Comments are closed.